Shader Making Tutorials
- Quake 3 Voodoo - A Beginners Guide to Shaders: Harlequin walks the beginner through creating the scripts that are the core of Q3A's special effects department.
- Quake III shader syntax file: A basic layout for beginning the writing of a shader
- baneforge: Chemical Burn has tutes on Pakfile making, skin making, and creating an alpha channel.
Texture Painting Tutorials
- Hfx Texture Tutorials: evillair tutorials on making, aging and weathering metal
- Harelequin's qbranch: Harlequin shows how to set up a skin layout, create several texture effects, has one of the best shader tutorials, and has an avi of his work in action on painting a head model.
- PC Resources for Photoshop: interesting photoshop tutorials and a lot of links.
- Painting Hair: Bladekiller shows how she does hair.
- Painting Armor: The king of Daveness shows how he paints body armor.
- Bug Limb Tutorial: Dave King shows some texture unwrap techniques and goes into material creation (something not entirely applicable to Q3A modeling).
- Redlemons’ Paint Shop Pro tutorials: This is a nifty collection of how-to’s for painting Q3A appropriate game content using Paint Shop Pro v6.
- Digital Painting: Darrel Pattenden shows how to creating an organized arrangement of layers for painting skin
- CREATING METAL, RUST & CORRODED METAL (1): Part 1 of a 3 part tutorial by Harlequin on creating metal and rusting it.
- CREATING A RUST BASE: Part 2 ... making the rust
- CORRODING THE METAL: Part 3 ... combining Rust and Metal into one
- From Top to Bottom: Texture making tutorial by Christopher "shaithis" Buecheler
- Creating a hand drawn texture, Part I: Texture making tutorial by Christopher "shaithis" Buecheler
- Creating a hand drawn texture, Part II: Texture making tutorial by Christopher "shaithis" Buecheler
- General Texture Tips: Texture making tutorial by Christopher "shaithis" Buecheler
General Painting Tutorials
- Gurus Network: Photoshop tutorials. Some of the more complicated stuff looks good ...
- DigitalFusion: A number of "special effects" techniques.
- Orion net photoshop tutorials: A collection of fairly basic photoshop useage tutorials.
- Adobe Photoshop- digital hair: Nuts and bolts tutorial on creating hair on photographs, including creating custom brushes.
- 3dpalette tutorials page: More general in nature
- Redlemons’ Paint Shop Pro tutorials: This is a nifty collection of how-to’s for painting Q3A appropriate game content using Paint Shop Pro v6, including making Icons and some general skinning tips.
- Pinoy: Paint Shop Pro Tutorials ... many "procedural" type material creation tutes.
- Computerarts: Photoshop and other 2D tutorials
- Wasted Youth Photoshop Tutorials: Tutorials look good, but site loads very slowly.
- Computer Arts 2D Tutorials: covers Photoshop and Corel and a few other tools.
Useful Links & Resources, & Reference
- Polycount Reference Image Thread: An ongoing thread on the Polycount forums
- Ultimate Guide to Science Fiction & Fantasy Art: Over 1100 artists and galleries … pro, fan & pro wannabe.
- Clothes: Krow’s Skindom article about creating believable fabric and clothes.
- 3DLinks: Super Useful general resource for 3D modeling. Tutorials, Plug-ins and links to downloadable textures can be found here.
- Security Arms: A reference link for photos of many modern firearms.
- Turbosquid: A place to download textures and free or inexpensive model meshes.
- Q3A Shader Manual on-line at id FTP site: This is a download link only
- Q3A Shader Manual on-line at qeradiant.com
- Maj’s Unofficial Shader Docs: More insight into shader use by Maj
- Photo Vault: This is a stock photo service. The images aren't for reuse, but they are a good source of ideas for models and textures.
- gfxzone: Site with a focus on per-pixel demoscene graphics.
- dhabih: Artist's site with focus on traditional art style computer graphics
- Kirin's articles page: Some tips on skin making and texturing.
- An Artist's Real-Time 3D Glossary: A Glossary of Terms for artists working in Real Time 3D
- www.gmaxsupport.com: Support for gmax tool. Of special note is the Discussion forum that can be linked to from the support page.
- Creating Textures and Texture WADs for Half-Life: by Valve, from Wavelength
- Creating Sprites for Half-Life: by Valve, from Wavelength
- Half-Life Sprite Tutorial: by Spider, from Wavelength
- Using Custom Textures with Daikatana: from PlanetDaikatana
- Half-Life Embedded Textures: from the Valve ERC
- Half-Life Light-Emitting Textures: from the Valve ERC
- Half-Life Style Guide for Labratories, Part 1: from the Valve ERC
- Half-Life Style Guide for Labratories, Part 2: from the Valve ERC
- Photobin: A free photoimage resource site
- Photo-essentials: Reference photos ... watermarked, so not really useful as sampling sources
- Image reference archive: maintained by Jon "Shine" Jones. Lots of realistic stuff, some "mature" material.
- Jeremy's public textures: Some more resources free for the useage
- Alias WaveFront Source Image page: Tiling and non-tiling source textures ... not for redistribution.
- Wally: a free full-featured texture editor with WAD building features.
- The Gimp: Photoshop-like software, there's a Windows Version.
- Texture Creator: 30-day trial version.
- Paint Shop Pro: 30-day trial version.
Texture Editing Utilities
- Pakmover: A Pak file managing utility.
- Q3ASE: The Q3A shader Editor. For making SFX happen on your skins.
- Texsynth: From Bert Peers, the guy who gave you Q3ASE, a utility that manipulates any texture into a tiling texture. Results will vary from texture to texture.
- Color Schemer: An on-line (or downloadable) color-coordinating tool. Enter the RGB values of a color and it suggests coordinating colors.
- Code Genie: A free-ware text editor (for writing shaders)
- Camoflage Creator Plug-in: Has Authentic WW2 patterns.
A big thanks goes to Paul Jaquays, who created a thread at MapCenter that was the source for many of these links.